15 Jun Should You Start Working as a Freelance Interpreter?(Last Updated On: June 21, 2018)
Working as a freelance interpreter is more beneficial than being affiliated with a firm. The reason for this option is because the deal is yours alone. When you have the deal all by yourself, you don’t need to share the earnings with someone else. Most of all, you have the choice of what project you will work on.
Want to work as a freelance interpreter?
Why would you work as a freelancer?
Unlike working in a firm where you don’t have a choice but to accept what is given to you, being a freelancer gives you the advantage of only working in projects you enjoy. With a company, you don’t have a choice but to follow the schedule, and share your earnings with the firm. Most of the times, the company gets more profit than you do.
When you are a freelance interpreter, you can choose the job you want. You don’t have to work on the jobs that you don’t like. You do not need to follow a strict scheduling program. You will have the time of your life to spend according to how you want to spend it. You will work, according to your terms.
The advantages of a freelancer
The compensation for the service will be complete and fully paid to you. There is no company percentage. Your hard work means your compensation. You will get the exact and full payment of the interpreting work you have done. Hence, working as a freelancer could be more valuable and viable than getting hired by a firm.
There are disadvantages too. You need to find clients, market your services, pay your taxes, etc. Those should be taken into account if you’re thinking about quitting your day job. If you know some marketing and know how to find clients then maybe it would be a better choice to go freelancing.
You can check out these tips to give you an idea on how to start working as a freelance interpreter.
- Get Certified: You should get the right certification to earn the trust of the clients. Most importantly, it is not just about getting certified, but getting the right knowledge and skills in order to be able to take on more jobs.
- Register online: There are a number of online freelancing websites that you can register for free. You can start from there. It is a good start for you as a freelance interpreter.
- Get into the social bandwagon: Everyone is deep into social media these days, and you should be too. Create account on different social media platforms and engage in the conversation. Clients may be waiting for you right there.
- Create your own website: If you’re good at writing too, consider creating a website or a blog to showcase your services. Keep it updated. Inform yourself on search engine optimization. Share your articles on social media.
- Be meticulous and cautious: When you bid for an interpreting job, you must be meticulous and cautious. There are a lot of scammers swarming around the net, especially on some freelancing sites and you wouldn’t want to work for nothing.
If you are a freelancer looking to get more jobs why don’t you try working with us? You get to choose the projects you’ll be working on and you’ll have the freedom to work when you want. Read more on our page about trans-interpreters then create an account.